Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Building a foundation

*double meaning alert*
Today was Andy's third day of kindergarten and today was the third day my eyes leaked a little. This MUST stop. Seriously. I am gritty enough to change a flat tire, tough enough to travel as a lone parent with two children under five to California for two weeks, and brave enough to have an Obama yard sign in a very Red county in a very Red state. Yet, every day for the past three days, the 44-inch 5-year old pictured below has made me cry.

I can't help it, though. I drive into the "drop-off" line, pull up to the curb and out hops my very excited kindergartener. I roll down the window and as he runs to the door of the gym I yell, "I love you, Andy!" He stops, turns and throws me a sweet, dimpled smile and yells back, "I love you too, Mommy! See you after school!"


Gah, I'm leaking again.


Must. Stay. On. Point. Ok, foundations. So I REALLY want, nay, NEED to be Room Mom this year. I need it like Michael Phelps needs water. I need it like Hillary needed delegates. I need it like Paris Hilton needs a Valtrex. You get the point. So what better way to land the title of Room Mom than to lobby for it? Worked for Jack Abramoff, right? Wait, bad example.


I think I might have gotten my foot in the door with these puppies:




They're both filled with Dove Dark Chocolate Nuggets. Look, I love Andy, but after a few hours with him, one does need some dark chocolate. Don't think of them as bribes or kick-backs. No, think of them as my way of laying the foundation on which to build my fabulous reign as Queen Room Mom of the Grade School Universe.



Ok, without the "Queen/Universe" part. Unless his teachers are cool with that.

Anykissass, after I dropped the man-child off at school, I drove over to the House Hole.

WE HAVE A BASEMENT CONCRETE SLAB THINGIE!! LOOK!

The big door-hole is for the sliding glass door, then there are two, large windows and then the door next to that is the door we're going to use to take the dogs in/out of the house. (That part of the basement is being partitioned off and will be unfinished so that we can clean them off before they come in.) The concrete stuff on the second level of the second picture is the garage.


And remember an earlier post where I mentioned the picture-in-the-foundation thing? Well, about a week or so ago, Jeff took a wedding picture out of his wallet (yes, my sweet husband carries a picture of us on our wedding day, in his wallet! Well, used to) and put it under the gravel that the slab was eventually poured on top of.


But then he felt bad because there wasn't a picture of the boys, so he went back a few days later and burried a picture of Andy and Ben because they're a major part of us. Then I felt bad because we're not done growing our family, so I went back a few days after that and burried a small heart shaped button so that our future kids would be represented as well. I draw the line at the dogs, though. I'm sure they'll burry enough in the backyard, on their own.





Well, it's 11:29 and I have to pick Andy up from school by 12:03. Honestly, who makes up these ridiculous schedules for grade school? Starting school in the middle of August, pick-up time at 12:03. What, 12:02 was just a minute too early?



Whatev.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Jimmy Hoffa LOL! And there's no way they would pick anyone else to be room mom! heck, you'll probably even do annual scrapbooks!

AB71 said...

Just getting caught up. I love your blog..I laugh...you cry...it's just like Casablanca, but not!

Keep blogging babe!