Saturday, January 31, 2009

It's not every day you talk to an Amish person on the phone...

Unless you're Jeff, in which case, it's a rather common occurrance. GCI's Pennsylvania office and machine shop often use Amish-made parts for their coaster trains, putting Jeff in frequent contact with a group of Amish, steel-workers. And for those of you who are still scratching your heads over the bit about the Amish using the phone, don't feel bad. I was really confused over that one, too. Jeff said that some sects of Amish are ok with using telephones, as long as the high-tech, tool of Beelzebub isn't in their home, and is off-site near their place of work.

Who knew the Amish had loopholes?

Anyhow, there wasn't really a point to all of this, other than the fact that I thought it was cool that I got to listen to a conversation between Jeff and Irvin, via speakerphone. I love the Amish accent; it's one of the few things I actually miss about living in Pennsylvania. If you ever get a chance, ask Jeff to tell you the story about the time Irvin's brother's wife had another baby. The Amish are just not an excitable people.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

that is interesting...loopholes...that's where it starts!