This is the last political post, I swear. (And if you believe that, I have some WMDs to sell you!!)
I let Andy stay home from school today so that he could watch the Inauguration. I know he's only 5 1/2 and doesn't know all there is to know about civics, but he is very aware of who Obama is, he can tell you who the candidates were and who their running mates were (and which state called Biden "Senator"). He also went with me to an Obama rally back in February of '08 and when Jeff and I went to vote back in November, Andy not only went into the voting booth with me, but he voted for Obama at the "Kids Count" voting booth.
I also hosted a small, itty-bitty, Inauguration Party here at the house. We decorated (complete with $1 ABC fridge magnets from Target and a lovely portrait of the 44th President, drawn by the boys' cousin, Annika):

and we even had a small cake (Not trusting
grocery store cake decorators, I did the writing)

I'm so happy. This day seemed like centuries away. When I was in elementary school, I'd look in history books and see all of the portraits of past presidents. As a little, half-mexican, half-white kid, I'd wonder why none of them had brown skin and why none of them were women and if there would ever be a president who looked like the kids I played with. These thoughts were in my head before I was interested in politics, before I knew the definition of equality, before I was a fervent opponent of discrimination.
I am so proud to live in a country where my children are never going to remember a time when there hadn't been a black man as president. I am so proud that my oldest son knows who Dr. King is and can tell you about the good Reverend's legacy.
And on that note, I'm going to go watch our new Commander in Chief dance with his lovely wife.
1 comment:
Wish I had been there for the party!!!!!
Post a Comment