Thursday, November 26, 2009

Abduction

Sorry for the 2-ish month hiatus. I was abducted by aliens, made their leader and saw several neat spots in the galaxy. The food was interesting, but their hospitality was out of this world.

So, since August, we've been busier than a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Let's ponder that image for a minute.



Jeff has been traveling almost non-stop all year and for the month of November, we were together for 4 days, including today. He's been to China, California, Las Vegas and Bowling Green, Kentucky. I am happy to report that he's taking a week off, starting Monday.

His travels meant that I flew solo, just call me Amelia Earhart, trying to juggle bedtimes, bathtimes, dinner, homework, breakfast, brother brawls, groceries, laundry, cats, packing lunches, school projects, dogs and so much more. I try not to think about it while I'm doing it, but as soon as Jeff gets home, it all catches up to me. Let's just say I'm glad today is a day of relaxing and good food.

Which brings me to the root of the holiday: Gratitude.

I think I'm one of the luckiest people alive. I have so much to be thankful for that one little blog and the entire internet couldn't hold the contents of my grateful heart. I will, however, attempt to pay a humble tribute to the things I am thankful for.

1. My sweet, sweet husband. Growing up, I most definitely had a bad example of what a married couple should be. I didn't have very high expectations for myself, and was pretty much resigned to the fact that I'd end up with a not-so-nice guy. I could not have been more wrong. Jeff is not only the most amazing father, (always accepting any light sabre dual, feigning an epic defeat with every wrestling match, performing the best voices in bedtime story history, and so much more) but also a good man with a good heart.

2. My awesome, precious boys. Andy made me the gift of motherhood and Ben gave me the gift of the sound of his first cry. They are the source of energy that keeps my heart beating, they are the cause of most of my laughter and smiles, they challenge me to be a better person and they are two of the greatest loves of my life and lifetimes past and future.

3. My home and comforts. I've always, always, always appreciated everything I have, but the global economic woes that this past year has brought, makes me appreciate everything so much more. Jeff has a very good job, we built a beautiful home, our cars are reliable, we are warm, clothed, have good things to eat and we are safe. In a time when so many are without employment and living well below their needs, I am painfully aware of how incredibly blessed we are.

Man, reading back over that makes me want to go hug my people.






Maybe even the cats.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww, that's so sweet!! But you forgot me, brat!

A girl and three boys said...

Dear God,
Thanks for Barb.

The end.