Friday, November 7, 2008

Yes, we did.

I wanted to keep this blog strictly family, scrapbooking and other non-war-starting topics, but I really felt the need to address a historic event. Between Monday, November 3rd, 2008 and declaring our independence from Great Britain 232 years ago, we (and "we" meaning only white men until 1870, only men until 1920, only men and women 21 and older until 1971 and after that, everyone 18 and older) have elected 42 different presidents.

On Tuesday, November 4th, we elected the first African-American.

This election was, without a doubt, one of the most intense, longest, political roller coaster rides our nation has ever experienced. This election was the first one that completely consumed me, made me excited about the process and the history being made and made me feel like I had a voice and an actual candidate in which I could believe.

I'd never had a political yard sign on my lawn. I'd never worn a campaign button. I'd never put a campaign magnet on my car. I'd never been to a rally. By the time this election was done with me, I'd waited in line for three hours in the biting, sleety cold of February to get into an arena to hear Obama speak. I'd been both high-fived and berated by people who saw the campaign button on my purse. I even made over 100 phone calls from an inner-city campaign office, to complete strangers, asking for their support on Election Day.
I lucked out and was put on the press list for Obama's final campaign rally in Cincinnati, last Sunday. The night his grandmother died. The air was electric. People; young and old, brown and white, confident and unsure, they were all there.

I was even lucky enough to meet David Axelrod, Obama's Chief Campaign Strategist. It was after Obama's speech and Mr. Axelrod had just finished talking to the editor of either the New York Times or the Washington Post, and was heading out of the stadium. I figured that if I wanted to meet him, it was as good a time as any. With my camera around my neck and press pass on my chest, I walked in his direction and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Axelrod?"

He stopped and turned to look at me. I continued, "Hi, I'm not with any paper or news station. I'm not really anyone, really...just a stay at home mom" and with that he replied, "Oh, don't say that! What's your name?"

"I'm Andrea and I did what I could to help out with the campaign. Earlier today I made a bunch of calls from a campaign office, I've donated, I've brought food to campaign workers, I've done what I can. I just want to let you know that I really believe in what you guys are doing and I think you guys are doing something great."

With that, he extended his hand to me and smiled. "Thank you for what you've done. It means a lot to us. Thank you." Look, I know politicians and the people behind them are supposed to be convincing, but I really saw a genuine, sincere person in Mr. Axelrod. (And no, that's not me in the picture with him)

The following day, I made preparations for a small Election Night party (shuddup...I'm a civics geek and proud of it!!) and on Tuesday, Jeff and I took the boys with us to be part of history.

I've voted in one presidential election and one mid-term election since moving to Kentucky and it has never taken me more than 10 minutes to park, vote and leave. On Election Day 2008, it took us an hour.

Now, being the manic scrapbooker I am, I brought my camera along with me, but wasn't exactly sure that the poll workers would let me bring it into the booth when I voted. (Not that I couldn't have taken all three of the workers, whose combined age was easily over 600 years old.) Not only did I get to bring my camera in with me, but Andy was able to come along and watch his momma vote for the next President of the United States.

After Jeff and I voted (actually, Ben pressed the "vote" button for him, which automatically disqualifies Jeff's vote, what with Ben being under 18 and all) we went into another room where they had a kid sized voting booth set up.

Now, I want to make this next bit perfectly clear. Jeff and I have talked to Andy about this election but have never told him who to vote for. We've only talked to him about the process, who was running and who we were voting for and why.

So you can the giggle-fest I kept quietly tucked inside my throat when Andy voted for Obama.

However, the gigglepallooza died a slow and agonizing death when he then checked the box for Mitch McConnell. *gag*

Later that night, I headed over to Barb's house and watched the Election coverage with a few of our friends. I even made chocolate mousse. (Ha ha...get it? Sarah Palin? Moooooose? Mousse?? Oh, forget it.)

We played some political trivia, did an election crossword and word search, and as the polls closed across the country, I colored in a giant map on a white board, and kept tally of the electoral votes.

The moment we'd all been waiting for came at 11:01pm.

I let out a sort of scream-yell-cry-gasp thing. We all cheered and even hugged. When we watched McCain's concession speech, I didn't expect it to affect me the way it did. I thought he was very sincere, honorable and humble. (Oddly enough, THAT was the McCain I remembered from years ago; the McCain I wanted to vote for. Oh, the irony.)

Watching Obama's speech was so very moving. I tried to take everything in; the images, my feelings, the message. I was so overwhelmed. The Obamas are a beautiful First Family and I can hardly wait to see them in their new roles.

In closing, I feel better about the future of this country and our world than I did a week ago. I really feel that what lies ahead of us is unwritten and so very full of possibility and peace.

I am so very proud to be an American.

2 comments:

hi_missy said...

It was amazing, wasn't it? So much of what you wrote so closely mirrored my own feelings during this election. Great post.

Stacy said...

i'd have to say that if mccain had won, i might have vomited. i honestly had this horrible lump in my throat when we were watching that it was gonna be bush another four years in 2004. this is truly an amazing time! and it brings me to tears to know that i've witnessed such an event!!! GO OBAMA!